IT started with a man exposing his genitalia on a pub dance floor and ended with another man facing court on two serious assault charges.
Nanjing Night Net

South Australian Geoffrey Wilson, 42, fronted Gunnedah Local Court last week to answer charges relating to an incident in the Club House Hotel in the early hours of September 27 last year.

Magistrate Barnett heard that a dance at the popular hotel had been uneventful until security staff received complaints that one of the male dancers had dropped his trousers to his ankles and was exposing himself.

Two security staff escorted the man from the floor who left the area without incident.

At this point Wilson is alleged to have approached the staff members and asked why they were removing the dancer from the floor.

Wilson has then said “why are you giving me the eye”, and attempted to grab the shirt of one of the security officers.

Wilson was then pushed through the door of the hotel by the staff with several punches being thrown during a struggle on the footpath which spilled out onto the road.

Just as the staff members were getting the upper hand with Wilson, the dance floor exhibitionist joined in, kicking one of the staff several times in the head as he fell to the ground.

Police were quickly on the scene but both Wilson and the dance floor man had left the scene.

Security staff followed both into the carpark of KFC.

They found Wilson sitting on a bench.

Wilson then ran at one of the staff and both men fell to the ground, striking a steel poll.

Wilson sustained minor injuries to his head and his victim an injury to his arm as he struck the pole.

Wilson was detained until police arrived and he was kept in hospital overnight for observation.

Police obtained CCTV footage of the incident which aided them in their investigations.

Wilson declined to be interviewed over the incident.

Magistrate Barnett fined Wilson $2500 on one count of assault and dismissed a second charge.

A MAN who fired two shots from a large-calibre Lee Enfield rifle outside his Hunter Street home has narrowly escaped jail.

Forty-eight-year-old Anthony Roden appeared in Gunnedah Local Court last week on five firearm-related charges arising from an incident late last year.

Roden was charged with using a firearm near a public place, having possession of an unregistered firearm, using an unauthorised firearm, not keeping a firearm safely and with having possession of ammunition when he appeared before Magistrate Barnett.

Evidence supplied to the court detailed how Roden had “gone for his gun” after hearing whistling, yelling and name-calling outside his home on the evening of October 10.

Police were told Roden had removed the Lee Enfield from a Remington firearms case which he had secreted under a concrete step at the side of the dwelling after becoming “alarmed when he heard someone calling him a dog”.

He was to later tell police that he had become anxious when he heard what sounded like a shot from the direction of the showground.

He admitted that he had fired one shot from the rifle before putting it back under the step.

Police were quickly on the scene and saw a “shadowy figure” running from the scene.

Officers found one spent casing on the footpath and were told by several witnesses that at least two shots had been fired in quick succession.

Police then asked Roden’s partner for permission to search the premises and were given consent.

A search turned up the Remington firearms case with the Lee Enfield, while inside the dwelling police found a green ammunition box in the main bedroom which contained one spent .308 casing and 14 rounds of .22 calibre ammunition.

Roden later handed himself in to Tamworth police, making full admissions to the charges.

Mr Barnett sentenced Roden to five months jail on the first charge but suspended the sentence on him entering a Section 12 (suspended sentence) bond with orders he accept supervision and guidance from the Probation and Parole Service.

On the ammunition charge, Mr Barnett recorded a conviction but imposed no penalty while on the remaining three charges he placed Roden on a Section 9, two-year good behaviour bond with the usual conditions relating to supervision and guidance.

On a separate charge relating to the assault on his female partner, Roden was placed on an additional Section 9, 12-month bond.

This charge arose after an incident on April 28 last year when Roden had grabbed his victim by the arms.

A GUNNEDAH woman has been fined and put off the road for six months on a mid-range drink-driving conviction.

Belinda Sams, 52, of Barber Street, blew .108 when she was pulled over by police in Barber Street just before 1am on February 28.

Sams’ Toyota Camry was stopped by police on a random breath-testing patrol.

The defendant told police she had consumed four Jack Daniels and Coke after finishing work.

She was fined $350.

IT has taken almost two years but a Yarrabin man has finally faced Gunnedah Local Court on a charge of causing malicious damage.

Magistrate Barnett was told 20-year-old Nathan Walsh had been with a group of friends shortly before 2am on the night of September 28, 2013 when they walked past the premises of Goodstart Early Learning Centre.

It was alleged Walsh had run at the Colorbond fence and threw himself at the panelling, causing several sheets to pop out with both Walsh and the sheets landing inside the premises.

Walsh pleaded guilty to the charge and was placed on a Section 9, 12-month good behaviour bond.

A BLOOD-ALCOHOL reading of .108 has cost a George Street resident $750 and his licence for nine months.

Robert Williams, 58, appeared before Magistrate Barnett last week in Gunnedah Local Court on one count of mid-range drink-driving.

Williams was charged with drink-driving after his Toyota Hilux was pulled over by police as it left the carpark of the Railway Hotel shortly after 5pm on February 26.

He told police he had five schooners of Tooheys New beer prior to driving.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.